Is Ninebark Coppertina Plant Toxic Or Poisonous To Dogs?

Filed Under: Shrubs, Garden Cautions · Keywords: Ninebark, Coppertina, Plant, Toxic, Toxicity, Poisonous, Poison, Dogs · 9542 Views
I was given a Ninebark Coppertina but can't find any information whether it's toxic to dogs. My Great Dane loves to eat leaves and I need to know if it's safe to plant this shrub where she can reach it.


Rate It 1


Comment about this question »

1 Answer

Answer #1 · Maple Tree's Answer · Hi DW-Checking the toxicity of the Ninebark (Physocarpus opulifolius) did not help to acquire a definite answer. According to many plant files all parts of this plant are poisonous if ingested. How toxic to humans or animals is not mentioned. According to the United States Deparment of Agriculture, the toxicity of the Common Ninebark plant is: none. Although considered by some, the ninebark was supposedly used as an emetic, purgative and laxative by Native Americans. Knowing just this I don't think I would want my dog eating this plant as she doesn't have any problem going now. The National Gardening Association notes all parts of this plant are poisonous. The ASPCA does not list this plant on a safe or toxic list of plants. Just to be sure I would call the ASPCA poison control center and get information before planting this anywhere your dog can get to it. I would tell you to keep it out of reach of your dog for now but if your Great Dane is the size of my neighbors that is not easily done as he can look me straight in the eye with both of us standing up. I would keep it in an area she can't get into until you check with the ASPCA.

I will continue to search and let you know if I find anything else that may help give us a more definitive answer.

John)


Additional comments about this answer:

DW Garrett

DW Garrett · Gardenality Seed · Zone 8A · 10° to 15° F
Thank you, John. That's a great help!

5 years ago ·
0 Green Thumbs Up
Maple Tree

Maple Tree · Gardenality Genius · Zone 10A · 30° to 35° F
You're welcome. If you find out more about the toxicity of this plant let me know also as this could help others. For now I myself would have some cautions allowing the dog to chew on it.

5 years ago ·
1 Green Thumbs Up
· Unthumb


Comment about this answer »
Rate It 1

Post An Answer To This Question:



Can't find your answer? Click here to ask your question.

Read Tips On How To Give A Great Answer

Click here to learn how to give a great answer »


Updates

View All My Gardenaltiy Updates »